Finn and the Swirly Spin Slot Review
I know it's not politically correct, but in college, we used to have a diminutive Irish friend who was probably the most popular kid on campus even though he was generally very grumpy. The reason behind that was that every time he started to speak in his thick Irish accent all we could about were “Lucky Charms” commercials. No matter how serious he was, we always stifled laughter. He embraced it all after a while though and even wore green occasionally to parties while having limited having success with some “Lucky Charms” pick-up lines. Finn and the Swirly Spin is an ambitious video slot created by NetEnt which works across all platforms and devices. Right from the start I had to chuckle seeing Finn the leprechaun do a nifty little dance number. I was in a pretty good mood before I began and Finn just lifted my spirits further. Maybe if I were feeling a bit down, his cute antics would have irked me, but today I loved them. I was dazzled and ready to cash in on the luck of the Irish!
Finn and the Swirly Spin is a 5 reel 10 payline slot in which the reels do not spin, but rather the symbols swirl (hence the title), with exploding ones causing an avalanche. Being only 10 paylines you can expect fairly high volatility. The symbols are a red ruby, chestnut, horseshoe, 4 leaf clover, wooden heart, and spade. They are joined by a wild symbol which is a star and a free spins key symbol. The wild can replace anything except the key. Wins with a wild are different: the wild explodes and destroys symbols next to them horizontally and vertically. Wins without a wild: A new wild will be created in place of one of the exploded symbols. NetEnts control panels are always brilliantly laid out and this is no exception. Along the bottom, there is Info, Bet Amount, Level, Autoplay, Spin, Max Bet, Coin Value and Total Coins display. Tucked away the far left are the Settings (including Quickspin), Autoplay advanced options and game rules.
This slot is such a trendsetter that the features are all incredibly unique. There are a few impressive random features:
- Starfall Wilds: 2 or more Starfall Wilds are placed on the reels randomly. If the next spin is not a winning one, a Starfall Wilds will continue to be added randomly until there is a win.
- Dragon Destiny: After a winless spin, the Dragon Destiny feature might appear. It destroys a random amount of symbols, creating an avalanche and a win is guaranteed.
- Irish Luck: After a winless spin if this feature is activated, a horizontal or vertical line of matching symbols is added to reels ensuring a win on the next spin!
- Magic Transform: Transforms all the spade and heart symbols into different higher paying ones.
At the start of a main game, the bottom of the left reel is occupied by the Free Spin key symbol which, with each consecutive winning spin, works its way to the center of the reels. This key is always present during the main game. When the key reaches the center, it activates the Free Spin feature, and the key meter goes to 1. The key meter never goes down even after you collect Free Spins. Once you're in free spins, you can choose from a few options depending on the number of keys you have collected.
- 1 key can unlock the 7 Star Bar Free Spins with the Starfall Wilds feature
- 4 keys can unlock 3 Lava Lair free spins with the Dragon destroy feature. During these free spins, a sticky wild gold coin also appears.
- 9 keys will unlock 4 Lucky Mug Free Spins with the Irish Luck Feature.
- 16 keys can unlock 2 Golden Pot Free Spins with the Magic Transform Feature.
Possibly, the animation in both the intro and the game could run slowly on older PCs, but we encountered no such issues – in fact Finn performed brilliantly. The graphics, animation, and music are all superb and would be right at home in a PlayStation game.
Finn and the Swirly Spin is something unique with every aspect being bright and fresh. It grabs your attention and never let's go. Sometimes a slot can struggle to capture your imagination, but Finn runs away with gleefully. So hold onto your lucky charms, because you're in for some excitement! (Hey! That's a great pickup line for an Irish woman to use!)